Wednesday, October 21, 2009

North Island Adventures Day 3

We woke up at the hut in Egmont National Park in the snow. All of this snow fell overnight.


Here's a video of it snowing! We were very surprised!




Here's a river we'd crossed the day before. The guys at the hut warned this might be too high to cross.. They were fortunately wrong!





Once we'd gotten back to the car we headed out of Egmont and up the West coast towards the Coromandel. We drove a road called "The Forgotten Highway" for over 100km, some of it unsealed roads. The road certainly seemed forgotten. Here's a shot of a slip on the road.



And here's a video of us driving along. Watch for slips, sheep, rocks in the road, slow corners, and me conducting and hooting along to some old NHS Chamber Orchestra tunes!



I had a blast driving that road even if the weather was pretty crap. I have no pictures from our tramp into "Daly's Clearing Hut" that night because we did just about all of it in the dark. It took about two hours to get to the hut.

I won't be updating for the next four days as I'm going on yet another tramping adventure. This time it's down to the Gillespie Pass. A good bit of tramping in the snow with my mates Dale and Mary. I'm looking forward to posting about the rest of my North Island adventures, my tramp up Avalanche Peak just a few days ago, and then the Gillespie Pass which should be amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I love the video of your drive!! No more driving though, pal. You are unlicensed!! For once I got you beat. Speaking of being 21, I can't wait to go out for brewskys with you when you are back stateside.

    ReplyDelete