Sunday, August 23, 2009

Break time

This is the third of three back to back posts I've just made. Be sure to read the other two below. They're way more interesting (this one is about my plans and my diet) and have lots of tasty photographs.

I have a sixteen day break now that started on Friday. I intend to have lots of exciting adventures.

The only adventure that I currently have planned is going on a tramping trip with five friends down to Te Anau where the Kepler track great walk is located. We will drive down there tomorrow (eight or ten hours), crash at a hostel, tramp for four days, hostel and drive back. The last part of that is a ????? for me as I may remain down there with my mates Dale and Matt Kelly to do another tramp or two as there are lots of good ones in that area.

Either way I won't be posting for a week or so... don't miss me too much.

If I do not stay down there I will likely do some cycle touring, some other tramps closer to home, go snowboarding, or some combination of those activities.

One thing I'd like to mention is that I'm a bit nervous about the tramp. I'm nervous because I'm not yet fully comfortable with the paleolithic man diet I've been following for a week now. This is because a large part of the paleo diet is meat and I can't expect to keep meat cool enough to stay good for four or five days in my pack. I will be eating veggies, fruits, and nuts on the tramp, and hopefully it will do me well. So far the diet has felt good but that's been with meat.

I doubt most folks know much about the paleo diet; I'm still learning about it myself. The idea is that our bodies have not had a very long time to evolve, and it is only recently that man learned to use fire, and had the agricultural revolution. Because of this, it is argued that the diet best suited for humans is the one that we were eating a good few years ago. The paleo diet is often called the caveman diet and the hunter gatherer diet. Here's a quick blurb on the diet from crossfit:

"The Caveman or Paleolithic Model for Nutrition
Modern diets are ill suited for our genetic composition. Evolution has not kept pace with advances in agriculture and food processing resulting in a plague of health problems for modern man. Coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and psychological dysfunction have all been scientifically linked to a diet too high in refined or processed carbohydrate. Search "Google" for Paleolithic nutrition, or diet. The return is extensive, compelling, and fascinating. The Caveman model is perfectly consistent with the CrossFit prescription.

And a link to a large and very specific list of foods that I'm eating and not eating right now:
paleodiet foods.

I'm planned to follow that list for a couple weeks to see what it felt like. It has been a week so far. I feel pretty good but I definitely need longer.

If I ultimately decide that this diet hasn't made me feel healthier I suppose I will just go back to eating whatever. What I expect to happen however is for this to feel good and to have a greater drive to eat healthier without limiting myself exclusively to paleo foods.

2 comments:

  1. no refined carbs and no dairy will be such an interesting experiment. Most people inour family feel better on that - so we'll see if you join the group. you'll just have to catch fish or get out your bow and arrow on the tramp!
    ohsusanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, you are missed here at Vanderbilt. Just thought you should know. Also, "The Gordon Freeman" made me lol.

    ReplyDelete