Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Forestry Field Trip #2

I learned heaps about trees last Saturday.. didn't take too many photos but I'll post what I have.

Here's a few hazelnuts in the orchard at our first stop, a retired couple's retirement orchard:

Nice internal shelter on the right and my class up ahead:
Chestnut trees:
Stop #2: Dudley's House. He was my lecturer's boss at one point and he has a really excellent estate. Here we're learning about how Dudley set up a running water creek in his yard so that he can grow rare plants that like having "wet feet" or running water on their roots:
Dudley leaves space around his trees to plant a few amenity flowers so that his trees will not suffer any mower damage which trees in a typical yard do:
Stop #3, some couple's lot across the way from my lecturer's home. The lecturer, Ledgard, helped the couple to do a bit of plantation style forestry on their lot in such a way that it is very pleasing to look at. Here we are in a lot of radiata pine where some of the trees have been pruned but there has been no thinning.. as a result the growth rate of the pruned radiata is considerably slower than those in the next lot over where the trees were thinned down to about 250 stems per hectare. Ledgard is showing us how to get the diameter of a trunk:
One of my classmates having a go at pruning:
It was a very educational day. I typed up the summary of the trip worth 20% of my grade in the class. If you want to have a look at some of the other things I learned on the trip, I've got the summary hosted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment